Cost Savings with NovaSom Home Sleep Tests
Nearly half of all obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) patients also suffer from one or more serious health conditions such as diabetes, hypertension or heart failure that is either aggravated or caused by OSA. Treating OSA reduces medical expenses, improves patient quality of life and lowers associated health risks. Employers should expect their managed care provider to target OSA as a primary health condition given its associated health risks and costs. Treatment of OSA dramatically reduces paid claims, disability claims, absenteeism, and workplace liability.
Economics of Untreated Sleep Apnea
- Healthcare utilization costs are significantly greater for people with untreated OSA than for those without the condition:
- Average physician visit costs for an OSA sufferer are double those of non-OSA patients
- Average hospitalization expenses for sufferers are 65% higher
- With diagnosis and treatment, costs can be drastically reduced:
- Physician claims decrease 32% within two years of treatment
- Hospital utilization is shown to be reduced by 40% after one year of treatment and by 58% after two years.
Sleep Apnea in the Workplace
- In addition to increasing employer healthcare costs, research shows that OSA and the associated fatigue can lead to absenteeism, low productivity and poor employee retention:
- Employees suffering from OSA are absent almost three times as long as peers
- OSA sufferers are 20% less productive than colleagues
- Employees treated for OSA are 2.3 times less likely to change jobs than those who remain untreated
- Employees treated for OSA have seen reduced absenteeism by 5 days/year over a two- year period.
Sleep Apnea On the Road
- Due to the daytime fatigue that results from untreated OSA, sufferers are six times more likely to be involved in a serious or fatal traffic accident
- Fatigue can be especially dangerous when a person’s job involves driving – 30% of accidents involving commercial truck drivers are sleep- related
- OSA affects an estimated 2.4 to 6 million commercial drivers
- Treating all drivers with OSA would save $11.1 billion in collision costs and 980 lives each year.
Read more about Obstructive Sleep Apnea and related conditions on our Resources page.
NovaSom HST is a more convenient and less expensive method diagnosis that can identify employees with OSA . NovaSom is committed to helping employers work with their insurance companies to implement effective Sleep Management programs using prior authorization, Benefit Design and therapy adherence programs to drive improved health and cost outcomes. Employers are well positioned to leverage available innovative models on behalf of their associates and create a healthier and more productive work force. NovaSom can help employers realize better outcomes through efficient diagnosis and therapy adherence. Contact us to learn more.